On July 9 we had our largest (and steepest!) installation to date at Charlie’s house, which has an un-mowable hill of a front yard that we planted to become a native wildflower meadow. The timing for this large installation was great since we’re taking a break for the rest of July but had a lot of plants that needed to get in the ground, including native grasses, asters, milkweeds, bee balms, and sunflowers.
A mighty crew of 10 people knocked out the whole install in 2 hours. As we wrapped up, a huge bumble bee auspiciously buzzed through to check things out. We’ll have some goodies here next year, bee!
On July 3 we planted a shady garden under the canopy of Carla and Joe’s huge elm tree. We used a mix of plants including wild ginger, violets, blood root, black cohosh, large-leaved aster, and sweet Joe Pye weed (many thanks to plant suppliers Ellie, Julia, and Bob). We’ve got one more garden to go next week and then will pause for a few weeks to avoid the July heat!
Yesterday we planted sunny garden strips along the sidewalk leading up to Casey and Danny’s house. It was uncomfortably hot out, but we had another great turnout of eight volunteers, so were able to get these gardens installed at lightning speed, i.e. ~1.5 hours.
Casey and Danny had already planted a few things (including the adorable silky aster!) toward the sidewalk, and our crew added (possibly way too many) additional plants to fill the area to the street. We have a few more gardens scheduled over the next couple weeks, then will pause for a chunk of July in order to minimize stress and overheating.